Well, its officially almost summer time and I can’t wait!! We have only two weeks left of actual learning, with the final third week off. That’s the beauty of homeschooling your kids…we don’t need to keep them in school the final week when all they do is watch movies and play when they are in regular school. So in two weeks I am going to ring that school bell and we are going to get this summer started!
I compiled a little list of happenings, things I’m thinking about, and etc.
- We started Life of Fred and the girls love it! We are almost done with the first book and plan on continuing throughout the summer.
- We have finished up our First Language Lessons book 2 weeks ago. Its so nice to finish things!
- The girls continue to read every morning. But to switch things up we put down McGuffey and picked up a book from my vintage collection that was given/stolen from my grandmother’s stash..hehe. The books are actual books that my mother and aunts/uncle used to read as children. Their little names are written all over them and my grandmothers old address stamp, stamped all over as well. Its really cool to be able to pass these things down.
- I have added some things to our summer bucket list that I am excited about. Things added are camping! I have always wanted to take the kids camping but as a homebody that doesn’t like too much of an adventure, I have always shied away from it. I grew up camping, but as a teenager I was forced to go camping, and it left a bad taste in my mouth. I am willing to give it another go. Some other things added are some local stuff. I never knew this but apparently Miami has an ancient Spanish Monastery that you can go visit. It was brought over here from Spain. It looks really beautiful!
- Hailey is turning 9 tomorrow! I am taking them to the beach today for an early celebration as I refuse to take them to the beach on weekends (too busy).
- I bought these shoes for my birthday (thanks dad!) and I love them! They are comfortable and perfect for summer! I even went out of the box and bought the berry color. They are perfect.
- The girls are doing great with telling time. The next step is to apply it to daily life by asking them randomly what time it is on a real clock.
- We plan on changing our ticket system to a money system so that the girls can practice their money skills. We give them tickets for finishing school, being good, going to bed at night without a problem, etc. It works really well for us. We have paper money that I want to swap out the tickets for and make things like kindle time, worth money. They can save up for things, etc. We hope by putting value to things not only would they appreciate it more, they will learning what its like to save up and make change.
- I have been sewing again and it feels nice. I made a nightgown for Hailey for her birthday that I think she will love. I also just ordered some more fabric to make a beach coverup for myself. I also want to make Hunter some tank tops. I bought this fabric for me, and this for him!
- In an effort to pay off our debts, we sold our Honda hybrid and are down to one car. This has halved our debt and freed up so much money, let me tell ya! You wouldn’t think such a mid level car would cost so damn much. We should have never bought it. I loved it and the gas mileage was great, but we rushed into it, and any time you rush into anything it usually is a mistake. But we did something about it at least, and now feel a huge weight off our shoulders. Not only does this free up money for us, it also aids in the direction that we want to take, which is living a simple and within our means lifestyle. Learning how to differentiate between what we need versus what we want and telling ourselves “no” has been a little tough but so rewarding.
Thats the list for this week! Now off to the beach for us! Have a great weekend
-photo found here